Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Baby names

Naming a human being is a weight of responsibility. Before Maya was born, I always asserted that I would call my first-born Elvis. I was half-serious, too. People’s responses ranged from amused to appalled.


You can’t call a child Elvis! Think about how they would be bullied at
school.


My response to this was born of the Bill Cosby School of Parenting (to whom I owe so much): A child will always be picked on at school – at least if they are tormented because of a name, it’s not their fault. And better that than their big ears.

Anyway, I’ve gone off Elvis. We don’t know the sex of the child, so we’ve had to come up with names for both boy and girl. The pattern is as follows: I suggest a name, Donna likes the name, in two weeks time Donna does not like the name, the name is discarded. With Maya it was so easy. She always was going to be Maya, and she suits the name perfectly. With our current choices, none are so perfect. But perhaps they will be, once there is a face and a personality to match.

Our current favourites are:

Boy:
Louis Xavier

Girl:
Jasmine Amber

But they might change…

No comments: