Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Cheltenham, Brett Easton Ellis, and Donna's tears

The Stretton family spent a really enjoyble weekend in Cheltenham, to witness the Literary Festival, and to play with our good friends Lynne and Tracey.

Before we reached the town, I had no real preconceived ideas of what it would be like. I immediatley liked the Spa town. Wide, leafy 'ramblas' streets, and beautiful Victorian architecture. At the festival, I saw Brett Easton Ellis speak about his new novel, Lunar Park. I've got an article on RSB about it now.

Donna went to see Maya Angelou with Lynne and Tracey. They were all visibly moved as they left the auditorium. Donna had been in tears.

On the Sunday, we visited Bourton-on-the-Water; a beautiful cotswolds village. There is a model village, and Maya really enjoyed being a giant. She ran around like a crazy person, knocking on windows and falling over bridges.

We got back home Sunday night, and then it was Donna's birthday on the Monday. Her celebrations were rudely interrupted by work, both mine and hers, so we will have to celebrate at the weekend instead. Still, she got to blow out candles, and this is more than enough excitement for her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bourton-on-the-Water model village rocks. I love it too. Bet you had more fun than Maya!!