Thursday, May 18, 2006

Exposed!

I am quietly scanning the website of my alma-mater Chester College, when I unexpectedly find my name:
Chris Stretton and Donna are now married and happy parents (1990-94) - but I only know this via Aaron O'Dea.

'Ah, how sweet' I think. My good friend Aaron has been keeping the college up-to-date with my ongoings. I read on:

I know that Chris reportedly has had a book published according to Friends Reunited and, I think, last year's Collegian - this is not actually true, he put it on Friends Reunited apparently as a joke, although he is writing and hoping to be published

WHAT! How dare they! This damning expose is typical of the kind of lazy, unresearched journalism with which this third-rate college is associated. I refute the notion that my novel 'And figs might leaf' is some sort of elaborate prank - constructed for the benefit of Friends Reunited. These lies are damning. And possibly libelous.

I should never have trusted that crazed egomaniac, Aaron. He has rubbished my own reputation, simply to further his own.

5 comments:

the eejit said...

I, plain and simply, have no connection whatsoever with this idea.

To me this sounds like a typical Jane Pike revenge spout...

But here we are, at the crunch - is 'figs might leaf' a pigment of your imagination?

I have all faith in you my literary and fruity idol...

Xianjon said...

Well, I, errrm...

That is...

Alright, no. It doesn't exist. Aaron, you are forgiven. I hereby retract the statement that you are a 'crazed egomaniac'.

Actually, I just retract the 'egomaniac' bit. The 'crazed' works quite well.

Hope all is sweet across the pond.

the eejit said...

Jeeessus... we dont want to hear about your failed literary excursions, we want to see photos of Nieve and her gorgeous sister Maya... Come on Provincial Gentlemen, get yer priorities right and post some photos!!!

please...

Anonymous said...

Funny that you should choose to use similar artwork as that used on the majority of Boris Vian's recent reprints (in French anyway, still doesn't seem to be much about in English) to illustrate yourself..freaky coincidence?

Anonymous said...

I 'fess up that I was probably responsible for this, but it was not intentional. I replied to an email from DV who had asked me if I could update him on our year even though I was never the person who volunteered to do this. I replied telling him I didn't have much I could tell him about, told him what little I knew about people and in doing so pointed out that I'd heard about your parenthood etc and that no book was yet published - because he'd previously printed that it was. I never expected him to put that in and shall take the old bugger to task, I simply expected him to either ignore it or get the previous assertion withdrawn. Though quite why I would be having a 'revenge spout' as the eejit suggests is baffling. Congrats on the new arrival - announced by said eejit from whose link I found myself here.