In previous elections, I’ve either been a non-apathetic non-voter, or have spoilt my vote. This year, along with many other lefties, I’ve been considering voting Lib Dem.
I know. It sounds fucking horrible doesn’t it? But what choice do I have? The Lib Dems are the only major party who were aainst the Iraq war. Also, they are the hottest on green issues, they oppose ID cards, they would scrap University tuition fees, and reduce class sizes.
In today’s Guardian, George Monbiot warns that this may be a misguided idea. Although the Lib Dems do have some good points, it would also mean…
“…the further deregulation of business and continued support for the private finance initiative. And, if past performance is anything to go by, you would be choosing a good deal of slipperiness as well. They opposed the Iraq war in theory, but supported it in practice. They have done the same with road-building, airport expansion and the incineration of waste.”
He proposes, instead, a vote for a minor left party - especially the Greens. This is certainly where my vote would be cast, if I had the option. However, being as I am a provincial man, I doubt I will be afforded the possibility. The Greens have candidates in only 164 of England's 529 constituencies.
So my voice of dissent may well turn out to be a vote for Kennedy. May God save my soul.
2 comments:
I dont agree with the non-apathetic non-voting. I think it is a mistake that could lead to problems in the future if very distinct choices have to made, unlike today where all seems the same. That will change for sure, and then we will be happy for our right to vote. But what about the lib dems eh? Well, I think given the situation of the political partys today what we need to do is go local. Speak to each candidate personally if you can, or write to them on email, wait for their repsonse, read all about what they are like, and then make your decision from there. You are more likely to see some major differences that way, and feel more confident that your vote is worthwhile. Dont get strung up on the big picture cos the big picture is a either fucked up in war, or let down in social coherence.
I am interested what Monbiot means by "They opposed the Iraq war in theory, but supported it in practice"
What does that mean, exactly?
Post a Comment